3.20.2005

Growth spurt!

The books say that babies get another growth spurt around six weeks. Resli, being exceptional (as we all know), got hers at five weeks. It started last Tuesday, when she began wanting to eat ALL THE TIME. We're talking every hour or so, and since you count from the beginning of the feeding, that means there was something like a 20 minute window when she did not want to be eating. This coincided on Wednesday with my 24-hour stomach bug, which was a bit dehydrating. So by Thursday or Friday I was convinced that I could never make enough milk to feed this creature, that she would starve and hate me for life and that she was going to fail to thrive, that horrible phrase in all the books, and it would be all my fault.
The books also say that in about five days the feeding demand and milk supply get their acts together and sort themselves out. That seems to be true. (Why I didn't trust the books to begin with is anybody's guess. But you guys know me... I do much better when I can worry myself silly!) Here it is Sunday and mother and baby appear to be slightly more in synch once again. Phew.
As for evidence of the growth spurt, well, her hands are noticably bigger and chubbier just in the last day or two. Her preemie outfits don't fit her anymore. And she's very alert and awake (when she's not eating!) and working very hard on smiling at everyone and everything. We won't get to weigh her again for another 10 days or so, but she's definitly growing. More pictures will come soon as photo evidence.
Love to all,
-Gillian

No comments: