6.08.2009

Swimming lessons

We've decided this summer that I'm going to learn to swim. 
If you think about it, it really is ridiculous that I don't know yet. I mean, we live in Florida where it's like 400 degrees every day, and on top of that my Mami LOVES swimming. Yea, she does laps several times a week, yet she's never taken me with her... hrmph.
So, we signed me up for two weeks of daily classes at the public pool near our house. I was super excited and woke up at a ridiculously early hour this morning to run in to Mami and Daddy's room to remind them that swimming lessons started today. Because of my eagerness, we arrived at the pool a bit early and had to kill some time. Luckily, the lifeguard (behind me in this picture) knew the whole Little Mermaid story, called me Ariel, and had a lovely conversation with me about being mermaids and living in grottos and such.

Then we all got to sit on the side of the pool and we met Ms. Amanda, our teacher. So far so good.
Next, came a short adventure out and back, holding on to her. Just to get us used to the water and stuff. I was definitely a little scared at first, but after about 2 seconds I LOVED it. I had a hard time waiting until it was my turn to go again (and there were only 4 kids in the class!). 

Ms. Amanda taught us how to kick next. My friend Jane (or so I thought at first, but it's actually something like Jayla or Jaylene, not too sure...), next to me, and I had a great time seeing who could splash the most. So much so that my Mami and her Daddy were a little worried we'd propel ourselves right off the edge of the pool!

Ms. Amanda came over to see how we were doing. We got high fives for our progress.
Then, to put those kicks to good use: a kicking sally out and back!

I did great!
But the best part by far was what happened at the end of each of those little trips: we got to 'talk to the fishies'! That means, by the way, that you put your head under the water and blow bubbles!
I know, you're thinking that I would be way too scared to do this, but I wasn't! 
It freaked me out a little the first time...
...but from that point on, I went ALL the way under each time! (AND,  I was the only one of us who didn't actually breathe IN under water.)
No problems there! It was a blast!
I can't wait to go back tomorrow, I hope we learn something new and exciting and mermaid-like! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you're doing this, and even gladder that you're loving it! (And what a wonderful lifeguard!) Did you show Lila all about it in the bathtub?

Dr. L said...

Looks like a fun and refreshing way to spend the morning!

Melissa said...

what fun! will you teach atticus to swim??